Fasanenstrasse Synagogue
The Fasanenstraße Synagogue was a liberal Jewish Synagogue in Berlin , Germany opened on 26 August 1912. It was located in an affluent neighbourhood of Charlottenburg on Fasanenstraße off Kurfürstendamm at number 79-80, , close to the Berlin Stadtbahn and Zoo Station .1 The Fasanenstraße Synagogue was built from 1910 on in a Neo-Romanesque style with distinctive Byzantine elements and was large enough to accommodate up to 1,720 worshippers. While older synagogues had been erected in courtyards, the temple with its richly decorated frontage was meant as a built statement of the advanced Jewish emancipation in the German Empire . A scholar of Progressive Judaism rabbi Leo Baeck was one of its leaders. Its main cantor for many years was Magnus Davidsohn and Richard Altmann (who was blind) was its organist. Emperor Wilhelm II presented the synagogue with a ceremonial marriage hall richly adorned with Maiolica tiles from his manufacture in Kadyny , dedicated to the Jews of Germany, and, as Magnus Davidsohn 's daughter, Ilse Stanley , describes in her book The Unforgotten , visited the temple upon its opening. Kurt Tucholsky on this occasion criticized a voluntary assimiliation of German Jews while the ruling class had nothing but contempt for them. The synagogue functioned for only twenty four years until the Nazi authorities forced it to close in 1936. The building was destroyed during the Kristallnacht pogrom in the night of 9/10 November 1938. From the Beer Hall Putsch commemoration in Munich , Minister Joseph Goebbels personally gave the orders to smash this synagogue , at that time the largest in Berlin. SA troopers broke into the building, shattered the interior and finally set the synagogue on fire with fuel they got from a nearby filling station – in the presence of the fire department which confined itself to prevent the flames from spreading to neighbouring houses. In 1943, the remains of the building were again devastated during an Allied air raid . Gemeindehaus, 2008 After the Holocaust , most of the few Jews who returned to Berlin were immigrants from the Eastern Europe . Chairman Heinz Galinski promoted the grounds of the former Fasanenstraße Synagogue to be chosen for the building of a new of a Jewish Community Center ( Jüdisches Gemeindehaus Fasanenstraße ). On 10 November 1957, the West Berlin mayor Willy Brandt attended the ceremony of laying its corner stone . The old ruins were removed, but a few surviving elements, such as the main portal, were kept for the decoration of the new building designed in the Modern style of the 1950s. The Gemeindehaus was inaugurated on September 27, 1959; since 2006 it hosts the Jewish adult education centre and administrative departments as the Community Center has moved to the New Synagogue on Oranienburger Straße .2
| 2010 | 2015 | 2020 | Oct '23 | 2025 |
|---|
What Wikipedia says this is
Every article opens by defining its subject. This one was redefined since October 7, and today's defining sentence is their current revision.
liberal jewish synagogue in berlin
former liberal jewish congregation and synagogue